JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – North Florida controlled the tempo from the opening whistle, outshooting the Dolphins, 24-6, but a JU (3-11-4, 1-8-2 ASUN) goal in the 54th was all the scoring the game would see as the Ospreys (4-9-5, 2-6-3 ASUN) dropped the regular season finale, 1-0, Saturday, Oct. 21.
The loss eliminated the Ospreys from postseason contention as UNF entered the day needing a win and some favorable results around the league ledger.
JU 1, UNF 0
54′ | Dabo (Friedl)
Inside the Match
- First Half: UNF supplied the vast majority of the pressure in the first half, posting 10 shots while holding the Dolphins to only four … arguably UNF’s best chance came as Jersi Dadah found herself on a one-on-one breakaway, sending a shot just wide of the post … the Dolphins found a little traction late, but the UNF defense snuffed out any opportunities.
- Second Half: JU was able to score via Mariama Dabo’s finish off a corner kick in the 54th minute … North Florida responded with a stretch of six shots in 11 minutes, but JU was able to escape that stretch … the Ospreys put three more shots on goal, but JU keeper Logan Gonzalez was able to get in the way … a free kick after a handball just north of the box sailed high and Gonzalez got her hands on a rocket off Paige McSwigan’s foot as JU held on late.
Leaders By the Numbers
- Mariama Dabo | 82 minutes, 1 shot on goal
- Hayley Friedl | 90 minutes, 1 assist
- Logan Gonzalez | 90 minutes, 9 saves
— UNF Women’s Soccer (@OspreyWSOC) October 21, 2023
- UNF outshot JU, 24-6, and 9-3 in shots on goal
- The Ospreys had seven corner kicks to just two for JU
- The game featured 28 fouls and three yellow cards
- Zara Siassi, Kayla Bond and Sarah Barrentine all played 90 minutes
- North Florida tied a season high with 24 shots
- UNF tied for the third-most shots on goal on the season