JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – North Florida women’s soccer conceded a late goal on Senior Day in the home finale as the Ospreys (4-8-3, 2-5-3 ASUN) fell 2-1 to Central Arkansas (8-6-4, 7-1-2 ASUN) despite outshooting the Bears 18-6 Sunday, Oct. 15.
The Ospreys didn’t allow a shot until the 37th minute, outshooting UCA 5-0, but the Bears found a goal just before halftime through Kelly Van Gundy. UNF applied pressure early in the second half, Jersi Dadah played a ball into the box for Chloe Lynch who ripped a strike off the underside of the crossbar to even the score. Despite a strong push, Central Arkansas scored a last minute goal to win the game as Van Gundy hit her second strike of the game.
Prior to kickoff, Haynes Grant, Averi Walraven, Analiese Anderson, Kayla Bond, Gabby Daly, Amanda Hartmann, Liz Anne Fogarty, Brielle Maloney, Rachel Fishkin and Zara Siassi were all honored on Senior Day for their contributions on and off the pitch.
UCA 2, UNF 1
44′ | Van Gundy (Wissel-Littmann, Billings) – UCA
53′ | Lynch (McSwigan, Dadah) – UNF
89′ | Van Gundy (Thies) – UCA
Inside the Match
- First Half: Lauren Weiss sent a ball into the box in the seventh minute finding the head of Paige McSwigan whose shot floated wide … Following a short free-kick in the 13th minute the ball fell to Zara Siassi in the box who forced a save from keeper Kajsa Pruner … Rachel Fishkin denied a UCA counter attack in the 23rd minute blocking a pass into the box … the Ospreys saw multiple shots blocked in the first half, outshooting the Bears 5-0 … UCA scored just before the halftime whistle after Caroline Billings played Kelly van Gundy through on goal.
- Second Half: The Ospreys started the second half strong with Jersi Dadah forcing two shots in the opening minutes .. Fishkin made an impressive diving save to deny a Central Arkansas free-kick in the 52nd minute … in the 53rd minute McSwigan played Dadah down the right wing who found Chloe Lynch in the box who hit an impressive bar down strike to even things up … the Bears found the game winner in the 89th minute through a long-range effort despite UNF outshooting UCA 18-6.
Leaders By the Numbers
- Kelly van Gundy | 2 goals, 2 shots on goal
- Caroline Billings | 1 assist, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
- Emily Wissel-Littmann | 1 assist
- Gabby Thies | 1 assist
- Kajsa Pruner | 90 minutes, 6 saves
- Lynch recorded her second goal of the campaign
- McSwigan notched her fourth assist of the season, tying Weiss for the team-high
- Dadah bagged her second assist, taking her point total to eight
- Allyna Thurston, Hartmann, Daly, and Siassi were the only non-keepers to play the full 90 minutes
- Siassi remains the leader in minutes played with 1,336 on the year
- McSwigan added a point taking her total to ten on the season, a team-high
- Hartmann, Siassi and Weiss are the only Ospreys to start every contest
- Head coach Eric Faulconer sent 18 Ospreys to the pitch
- Lynch’s three shots take her season total to 27, a team-high
The Ospreys travel across town for the regular season finale in the 25th edition of the River City Rumble against rivals Jacksonville Saturday, Oct. 21 at 12 p.m.