JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – For the fourth-straight match, UNF women’s soccer (4-7-5, 2-4-3 ASUN) outshot its opponent, but tonight North Alabama (8-5-4, 4-3-2 ASUN) was able to score the contest’s lone goal in the 69th minute as the Ospreys were clipped by the slimmest of margins in the penultimate home match of the regular season. Due to heavy rains throughout the preceding evening and during the day, the game was played on UNF’s turf field adjacent to Hodges Stadium.
UNA 1, UNF 0
69′ | Bussey – UNA
Inside the Match
- First Half: The Ospreys saw a majority of the possession in the first 20 minutes … UNF had early chances from Kayla Bond and Sophia Goetz, but UNA’s keeper was able to stay in front on both … Lauren Weiss and Allyna Thurston made two crucial blocks that kept the score even … the Ospreys would go on to outshoot the Lions, 6-1, in the first half.
- Second Half: Sarah Barrentine was called to action early into the second half, sprawling out for a diving save … UNA broke the deadlock in the 69th minute through a long-range effort from Alice Bussey after a counter via a goal kick … Brooklynn Fugel saw a one-on-one chance roll just wide in the 74th minute … all told, the Ospreys outshot the Lions, 10-6.
Leaders By the Numbers
- Alice Bussey | 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on target
- Izzi Gurney-Harper | 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
- Adriana Wright | 90 minutes, 6 saves
— UNF Women’s Soccer (@OspreyWSOC) October 13, 2023
- This was the program’s second official match played on the turf field adjacent to Hodges Stadium. The Ospreys hosted Georgia Southern on the turf last season due to weather
- The game was originally set to be played at Hodges Stadium, but due to torrential weather conditions the field was deemed unplayable
- Thurston, Analiese Anderson, Kayla Bond, Amanda Hartmann and Zara Siassi all played the full 90 minutes, the largest group of Ospreys to play the full game this season
- Siassi remains the leader in minutes played with 1,246 on the year
- Siassi, Hartmann and Lauren Weiss are the only Ospreys to start every contest
- This was Siassi’s 60th-straight start
- Head coach Eric Faulconer sent 18 Ospreys to the pitch
- UNF leads the all-time series with UNA, 2-1
UNF hosts UCA for Senior Day in the final home match of the season Sunday at 1 p.m.