KENNESAW, Ga. – North Florida women’s soccer (4-6-5, 2-3-3 ASUN) escaped Fifth Third Bank Stadium with a league point thanks to the foot of Sophia Goetz and the head of Paige McSwigan as UNF got the equalizer in the 88th minute in a 1-1 draw at Kennesaw State (3-7-5, 2-4-2 ASUN) Sunday, Oct. 8.
Both goals came in the second half as the Owls broke the deadlock in the 69th minute after Jade Barkett poked home a loose ball in the box. The Ospreys pushed for an equalizer and in the 88th minute Goetz found the head of Paige McSwigan in the box who nodded home her third goal of the campaign. A missed penalty kick in the final minutes kept the score even, sending both sides home with a point.
UNF, 1 KSU 1
69′ | Barkett – KSU
88′ | McSwigan (Goetz) – UNF
Inside the Match
- First Half: In the 14th minute Paige McSwigan saw a free kick float just wide of the net .. Sophia Goetz sent a ball into McSwigan in the 27th minute whose shot sailed just over the crossbar … in the 35th minute Analiese Anderson blocked a shot from Macie Rainwater to deny the Owls … the Ospreys took five corner kicks in the first half without conceding one.
- Second Half: Kayla Bond found McSwigan in the 56th minute who ripped a shot from outside the box that was just off target … Anderson made another crucial block in the 59th minute to keep the score even … the Owls took the lead in the 69th minute as Jade Barkett poked home after a scramble in the box … Chloe Lynch saw a shot saved in the 75th minute by keeper Alannah Blye … the Ospreys continued to push for an equalizer in the last ten minutes of the match … UNF finally broke through in the 88th minute after Goetz found McSwigan in the box who nodded home the equalizer … Dadah was brought down in the box with 33 seconds left on the clock … McSwigan stepped up, but the penalty kick was lifted over the crossbar … the Ospreys outshot the Owls 11-7 in the second period.
Leaders By the Numbers
- Jade Barkett | 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
- Aila Swinton | 2 shots
- Allanah Blye | 90 minutes
— UNF Women’s Soccer (@OspreyWSOC) October 8, 2023
- McSwigan notched her third goal of the season, tying Dadah for the team-high
- McSwigan now leads the team in points with nine
- Goetz recorded her second assist of the campaign
- Dadah’s three shots gives her the team high with 24
- Nine Ospreys have recorded at least one assist
- McSwigan took a career-high six shots
- Head coach Eric Faulconer sent 22 Ospreys to the pitch
- Zara Siassi and Lynch were the only two non-keepers to play the full 90
- The Ospreys are 15-1-2 when scoring a goal in the 80th minute or later under head coach Eric Faulconer
North Florida starts its final home stand Thursday, Oct. 12 at 7 p.m. against North Alabama.