CHARLOTTE, N.C. – North Florida women’s soccer (4-6-4, 2-3-2 ASUN) earned a result for the second match in a row on the road, outshooting the Queens Royals (3-4-6, 1-1-5 ASUN) by eight shots, in a 0-0 draw Thursday, Oct. 5.
Keeper Sarah Barrentine tended a spotless net, making three saves in UNF’s fourth shutout of the season. UNF came just inches shy of a goal on two instances in particular, with Paige McSwigan sending a free kick off the post and Jersi Dadah putting a one-timer off the crossbar.
UNF 0, Queens 0
Inside the Match
- First Half: UNF put the pressure on early, generating two quick corner kicks … one resulted in a Zara Siassi header on goal that was saved by Queens’ Erica Turner … McSwigan came just inches from an early goal, hooking a free kick on goal that was deflected by Turner and off the post … Dadah tried to score on the volley but sent it wide … Queens’ first shot on goal came in the 34th minute, a long-range attempt that was saved by Barrentine … UNF had two final pushes in the final first minute of the first frame, but Queens managed to scrap its way to clearances.
- Second Half: Queens put the first ball on goal of the second half, but Barrentine was there every bit of the way to make a diving save … Dadah provided the first chance for UNF in the second, sending a cross on a one-timer off the top crossbar as Queens escaped once again … UNF had the majority of set pieces and corners in the second half, keeping the ball in the attacking third for much of the second session … Queens had a good through ball poked away by Erin Jones in the 82nd minute … both teams traded possession but couldn’t muster a significant look late as time expired.
Leaders By the Numbers
- Connie Dutton | 4 saves, 2 shots on goal
- Svensson, Sain | 90 minutes
- Erica Turner | 5 saves
- It was the second 0-0 draw of UNF’s season
- It was UNF’s first 0-0 road draw of the year
- North Florida has earned a result in each of the last two road matches
- Siassi added another 90-minute match to her season
- It was UNF’s first match at Queens since 2000
- North Florida has played to a 0-0 draw in each of the last two matches against Queens
- North Florida outshot Queens, 14-6
- The Ospreys also held an advantage in shots on goal and corner kicks
North Florida wraps up a season-long four-match road trip at Kennesaw State Sunday, Oct. 8 at 3 p.m.