LOUISVILLE, Ky. – North Florida women’s soccer picked up a point on the road thanks to a Paige McSwigan penalty kick as the Ospreys (4-6-3, 2-3-1 ASUN) played to a 1-1 draw against Bellarmine (4-4-5, 1-2-3 ASUN), Sunday Oct. 1.
The Ospreys applied the pressure early, outshooting the Knights 8-1 through the first 20 minutes. Keeper Sarah Barrentine made a solid save to deny a Bellarmine counter attack before Alexa Orozco headed in the subsequent corner kick to give the hosts the lead.
Early into the second half a cross from Jersi Dadah struck the hand of the Bellarmine defender resulting in a penalty kick for the Ospreys. McSwigan stepped up and scored her second goal of the season to tie it up. UNF would continue to attack the Bellarmine goal until the final whistle, outshooting the Knights by twelve.
UNF, 1 BELL 1
25′ | Orozco (Whitehead) – BELL
55′ | McSwigan (PK) – UNF
Inside the Match
- First Half: Gabby Daly saw a one on one opportunity saved in the third minute by keeper Cambria Kingman … Erin Jones was found on the end of a good string of passes by the Ospreys but her shot was saved in the 12th minute .. UNF outshot Bellarmine 8-1 through the first 20 minutes of play … the Knights took the lead off a corner kick in the 25th minute following a solid save from Barrentine to deny a counter attack … Brooklynn Fugel forced a fingertip save from Kingman just before halftime after the ball fell to her following a scramble in the box.
- Second Half: in the 55th minute Dadah sent in a cross striking the hand of the Bellarmine defender resulting in a UNF penalty kick … McSwigan stepped up and slotted the penalty home for her third goal of the campaign … McSwigan almost bagged a brace blocking Shelby Smith’s clearance into the goal in the 72nd minute but it was called back for a handball … Four of the seven shots in the second half were taken in the final eight minutes … Fugel and Lynch had solid chances to give UNF the win but Bellarmine would hold them off, all told the Ospreys outshot the Knights 18-6.
Leaders By the Numbers
- Alexa Orozco | 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
- Sydni Whitehead | 1 assist
- Clara Spurlock | 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
- Cambria Kingman | 45 minutes, 6 saves
- Shelby Smith | 45 minutes, 4 saves
- McSwigan recorded her second goal of the season tying Dadah for the team-high in points with seven
- Lynch’s four shots takes her season total to 20, a team-high and career-high
- Head coach Eric Faulconer sent 20 Ospreys to the pitch
- The Ospreys remain unbeaten against Bellarmine with a 1-0-2 series record
- Lauren Weiss was the only non-keeper to play the full 90 minutes
- Zara Siassi has played the most minutes of any Osprey taking her total minutes to 976 on the season
- Siassi, Weiss and Amanda Hartmann remain the only Ospreys to start every contest
- UNF are 9-6-8 in matches played in October under head coach Eric Faulconer
The Ospreys stay on the road Thursday to take on Queens in Charlotte at 7 p.m.